Whether you are a new mother or an oldie, there are a lot of reasons you want the best affordable baby monitor.
For a new mother, you may be looking to test out things before committing fully.
And if you are an experienced mom, you don’t want to spend too much on this.
Unless, of course, you are a stay-at-home mom that has all the time to monitor your baby herself.
If you are an experienced mother, you know it can save time and help reduce stress. For a new mom, it can be a little different.
Becoming a new parent is intimidating enough without having to delve into the vast availability of technologies that are supposed to make our lives with a newborn easier.
There are many things that factor in when making a choice over this gadget that will allow you to restore some of the much-needed time that most parents struggle to allow themselves.
Luckily there are many monitors on the market today that employ a range of capabilities.
This includes smart-tech and night vision, which makes being watching over your baby a much smoother experience, even from the comfort of your kitchen or living room.
We have chosen some of the cheapest monitors out there, to make the choice easier on you.
How to Choose the Best Affordable Baby Monitor
Choosing the right baby monitor allows you to monitor your baby’s activities from dusk until dawn. Even though that’s arbitrary, it’s close to what you can get with a baby monitor.
Since you are trying to choose the best budget baby monitor, the first thing to consider is price.
Obviously, your budget will be the determining factor here. However, there are dozens of models out there are very cheap.
Not only are they affordable, but they are also high quality. Remember you don’t have to purchase an expensive product before you can get good features. It’s all dependent on the brand.
So, when looking at different models to get, ensure that the brand is reliable. And make sure their products are dependable too.
Another thing you want to consider is the transmitter on the monitor. Most monitors now have sensitive transmitters that tell you exactly what your baby is doing even while you are attending to other household chores.
This can eliminate all your worries while your baby sleeps. The device monitors your baby’s slightest movements and transmits them to you. This helps you give your baby the love and attention they deserve.
If possible, you can also consider those baby monitors that have temperature and humidity sensors.
These two can serve as an extra precautionary measure for you so you can ensure your child remains in a very healthy environment even when you are not around.
Another important thing is the audio quality. A good one should be able to provide you with the clearest and most audible sounds possible.
In fact, every baby monitor should have this feature, regardless of the price.
You should also look for adjustable volume controls and light indicators for easy monitoring.
Now that you know what it takes to choose an affordable baby monitor, let’s see the models wielding these features.
Here you go:
Best Affordable Baby Monitor [Top 3 Reviews of 2019]
AXBON Wireless Video Baby-Monitor (2.4 inch LCD)
This monitor comes with a color display allows you to position it a meter away from your child while giving you a full-body image of them.
The two-way talk also allows you to speak or sing to your child if they wake up.
And the added temperature alerts can give you more visibility into the warmth of the room.
You may also use a timer to help you set a schedule for feeding, as well as changing.
Parents love this unit for its affordability and long-lasting charge on the monitor, but also because it is compact.
- It doesn’t require Wi-Fi. Using a baby monitor does not necessarily mean you should use wifi. Instead, you can use it without any connection, which is the best in my opinion. Imagine what would happen if you lose your Wi-Fi connection.
- You wouldn’t be able to monitor your baby, which defeats the purpose of getting a baby monitor in the first place. The advantage of a monitor such as this is there isn’t going to be any time you can’t use it.
- Just plug it in directly into the outlet and you can start monitoring. If you are among those that hate to connect to wifi just to use your monitor, you’ll find this is a great model for you.
- Replaceable accessories. One of the nice things about this monitor is that you can easily replace the accessories. Take the charger for example. It’s an Android phone type of charger that can easily be replaced if the old one dies or get damaged.
- Sound quality is great. The sound quality is quite good and doesn’t have any squeakiness or .. to it. It also cuts out the white noise and lets you listen to your baby with ease. The screen is also very clear and brings out all the details in the background. This is essential for adequate monitoring when you are not home. It also has night vision, which makes it easy to use at night and when the light goes out.
- Good price. Although it’s clear that this is an article on affordable baby monitors, it’s worth pointing out that this specific model is actually inexpensive.
- Compact. Unless you are looking for a larger screen, you’ll love the portability of this unit. It’s easy to move around and it’s not so small that you have difficulty making out items from the viewer.
- Small screen. If you are looking for a monitor with a big screen, you may be disappointed with this unit. It’s a little baby monitor and the screen is expectedly small. Even though the screen is small, it doesn’t affect the quality of the pictures. You can see things clearly so you shouldn’t have problems using it.
- No mobile app. This monitor doesn’t support mobile apps from both Android and Apple iOS so you have to use it independently. If you can’t use a monitor without a mobile app, you’ll have to look for another model. However, it should be noted that this will involve spending more as those supporting mobile apps aren’t that cheap.
- No additional camera. You cannot add an additional camera to the monitor. It’s only one screen. If you’d like to monitor two rooms at the same time, you’ll need to invest in dual monitors. You’ll be able to get one that’ll suit your preferences as long as you are willing to pay more for it.
- No zoom function. Another downside to this baby monitor is you can’t zoom in and out. Zooming in and out is a great feature especially if you need to monitor the specific area in the room when you are not at home. There are baby monitors that have this function, but they require more investment, which is not true to the subject of this article. Most affordable baby monitors will not have certain features and this is one of them.
You can see every activity of your baby. One of the advantages of a baby monitor is that it allows you to see everything your baby is doing. This model is great in that it lets you hear your baby crying without the white noise. It monitors only your baby’s voice and when it comes up, the volume picks up and you can hear the baby cry.
You need to plug in at all times. One thing to note about this unit is that you need to plug in the camera at all times, otherwise it won’t work. This isn’t much of a hassle though since you can just leave it disconnected and only connect it when you need to monitor your baby.
Baby Monitor – Video Baby-Monitor with 3.5″ LCD-Screen
This unit comes with a clear two-way speaker so that your baby can hear your voice. Or hear lullabies you are playing from the next room.
What’s special about this monitor is that you can add up to 4 monitors to it, allowing you to keep one in each room, rather than having to move it around with you.
It is a popular choice among those who are looking for a monitor that has continued reception over a longer distance.
- Easy to install. This baby monitor is easy to install and takes a few minutes even if you aren’t a technical person. It comes with an instructional booklet that’ll guide you through the entire installation process.
- If you are technically inclined, it shouldn’t take you more than a few moments since it’s all about connecting the cable.
- Audio in camera. Like the AXBON baby monitor, the camera on this model also has an audio capability so you can listen in on your baby.
- Holds adequate charge. One of the beautiful features of this unit is that it holds a charge for up to 12 hours. Even if you are working, it’s not possible you’ll leave your baby for 12 hours. So, this is more than enough time to get from a single full charge.
- Clear video. The screen is wider than the AXBON monitor so you can see more clearly. It’s as clear as seeing your baby’s eye is closed or not. This makes it easy to keep a tab on your baby even if you aren’t in the same room. The night vision is also very clear, although some people complained that it looks grainy.
- No internet connection. There is no internet streaming connection to monitor your baby. Since it’s self-sufficient, you have complete control over the operation every single time. Moreover, there isn’t any risk of a stranger breaking in and having access to your baby’s photo or audio material.
- Two-way talking. This is an intercom function that allows you to talk back to your baby. Whether your baby is crying or looking for your comforting voice, you can easily communicate even if you aren’t in the same room. This is a great feature for when you are in the kitchen, garden, or living room and want to talk to your baby in his/her room.
- Room temperature display. The camera is able to measure and display live temperature data in your baby’s room. You can see the level of temperature on the parent set. This helps you to keep a tab on your baby’s comfort.
- Needs to be on charge. The monitor may only last a few hours so you need to keep it on charging so it doesn’t turn off. And if you are moving around, you’ll have to take a charger with you to ensure it’s properly charged.
- The battery is non-replaceable. Along with the battery life being sub-par, you also can’t replace it. This can be frustrating but the best way of getting around it is to keep it on charge so you don’t have to worry about it.
- No zooming. You can only manually move the camera and cannot zoom in or out of a specific area. The best way of enjoying this is to just set it up for the area you want and not have to worry about it. Without putting it in the best position beforehand, you may not get it to work the way you want.
It’s flexible. You don’t have to limit the use of this to the bedroom. Instead, it can be used in other areas of the home. The advantage of this is that you don’t have to cart your baby from room to room just because you want to monitor him/her.
If your baby sleeps better in his/her bed, then you should let that continue and just watch from this monitor. Aside from that, you can use it as a pet monitor too. So if your baby outgrows it, you still have plenty of uses for it.
HelloBaby Video Baby-Monitor 3.2” LCD Display Screen
It also provides a temperature alarm system, so you can ensure that your child will continue to sleep in the optimal temperature.
It is a plug and play monitor that doesn’t require the installment of an app or Wi-Fi.
Its long range is what also makes it a popular and safe choice, as it can also be used in a two-story home.
- No wifi requirement. It doesn’t need any wifi connection to use it. Just connect and it’s ready to work.
- Supports more than one camera. One of the areas that this monitor wins over the other two in this list is that it supports up to 4 cameras. So you can connect 2 cameras and receive alternating videos each one from the parent set. After scanning, the monitor will display the camera video from one room for 10 seconds and then switch to the next. All you have to do is get an additional camera, which is provided by the same manufacturer.
- Temperature monitor. Another good advantage of this unit is that it sounds an alarm if the monitor goes out of the range you set. After setting up the default temperature level in your baby’s room, the unit will monitor it and sound an alarm so you can go in and adjust it.
- No auto audio transmit on vox. The vox mode doesn’t transmit audio automatically. You have to press a button in order to communicate.
- Battery charge is short lived. Unlike the other two models on this list, the battery only lasts a few hours so you may need to constantly charge it or leave it plugged in.
No automatic tilting. You cannot pan or tilt the camera from the device itself. It has to be done manually. The tilting will be done manually and there is no pan feature so only one can be used.
Final Words on the Best Affordable Baby Monitor
The market today is flooded with baby monitors that come in all hues, each one tailored to different applications.
If you are looking for the best affordable baby monitor, you have a lot of options to choose from. While they may not have the features you’ll find in an expensive model, they are still manageable.
They have the necessary features you’ll need to monitor your baby. Most especially if you are a new mother.
You should be able to decide which one is for you from the reviews above. Just understand what benefit each one brings and it features.
Then evaluate these against your own needs. With that, you should be able to get a cheap one that’ll suit your preferences.